Blogs > Lighten Up with Kate

34-year-old Kate Bloom, of Willoughby, has plenty of support in her journey to get healthy. She wants to get back to being the active person she was as a youngster.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Food For Thought

It was Hippocrates who said “Let food be thy medicine and let thy medicine be food.”  How could someone who lived so long ago have been so wise and we have become so confused.  The reason I bring any of this up is I have noticed in recent contestant’s blogs that they are losing weight/eating better/exercising and therefor, being taken off their blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol medicine.  And as of yesterday, I am now off of my cholesterol pills and two pills that I was taking for high blood pressure (one more to go).   It seems odd to me that every time I go to the doctor’s office, and something is wrong, they don’t tell me to quit eating the cheeseburgers and throw some greens into my diet.  The response is always that I can take a pill to manage that.  They’re not wrong, the pill does manage the issue, but is it the best way to go?  I’m certainly not a medical doctor, but it seems like nutrition should be a more vital part in our medical care.  Although, prescribing fruits and vegetables doesn’t bring in the money like a year’s supply of Zocor does.  I don’t blame the doctor’s either.  They save lives every day.  My general practitioner is amazing and I wouldn’t trade her for anything.  Nutrition can’t solve all of our problems, but it seems like if we took responsibility for some of our medical care through good eating and exercise we could only be better off.  Now the hard part….practicing what I preach!

 

 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sara Wank said...

Kate, I'm loving this blog more than you know. Please come to that book signing if you can. Dr. Todd practices and preaches exactly what you're talking about; he's the doctor that teaches his patients to heal through food and not drugs. I'm so glad to know you're getting off of the medication.I love you! -Sara

April 15, 2012 at 8:25 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home